Dual booting WinXP and FreeBSD - odd problem

Mike Maltese mike at pcmedx.com
Sun Nov 2 22:22:43 PST 2003

I've installed FreeBSD on a friend's box with a pre-existing Windows XP
installation. This isn't the first time I've done this, my personal
desktop machine is dual boot Win2K/FreeBSD, and there are no problems.

On to the problem...the machine starts up normally and the FreeBSD boot
manager presents my boot options (F1 - ??, F2 - FreeBSD). When I press
F2 to select FreeBSD, the machine just beeps at me. Pressing F1 boots XP
with no problems. The only thing that I can think of is that the boot
sector of the FreeBSD slice isn't where it's supposed to be, but beyond
that I'm stumped. Anyone have a suggestion as to what may be causing
this and how I might remedy it?

TIA, Mike