Evolution without gnome

andi payn andi_payn at speedymail.org
Sun Nov 2 17:02:34 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 15:50, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Well, even this incredible slow thunderbird was better than evolution IMHO.

I have a pretty complicated setup--multiple identities, even more IMAP
mailboxes, mailing lists that I want to filter into separate folders and
auto-purge, a Palm to sync with, etc. If you don't need all this,
something simpler should work fine. However, if you need something
complicated, I don't think anything can match Evolution 1.4--including
Outlook Express, Outlook, and Eudora, and Thunderbird and kmail (and
especially including Evolution 1.2).

For example, it's the only one that handles filtering IMAP properly (the
kmail people refuse to accept a patch to add this)--although the
vfolders feature means you might not need to anyway. It's the only one
that handles error conditions like mail servers that occasionally go
down for hours on end, running out of disk space, incomplete Palm
sync'ing, etc. properly. In short, it does everything I need, and it
just works.

Plus, even on the slowest machine I have (PPro 200), it's still (just
barely) usable (at least with a light Gtk 2 theme, running under fvwm2).