Evolution without gnome

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Nov 2 10:38:04 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 13:17, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> On Sunday 02 November 2003 19:00, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 08:46, sebastian ssmoller wrote:
> > > hi,
> > > recently i set up a new freebsd current. i want to use xfce4 as
> > > desktop/window manager but also evolution as mail client. i had a look
> > > at the dependencies of evolution and found out that evolution depends on
> > > the whole gnome2 desktop (!)
> > >
> > > can anyone explain me why evolution depends on things like gnome-panel,
> > > gnome-desktop, ..., please?
> >
> > It doesn't.  However, it does optionally depend on gnomepilot2 which
> > depends on gnomepanel.  You can build Evo with -DWITHOUT_PILOT to remove
> > that dependency.
> >
> > > is there any way to use evolution without gnome-desktop installed (
> ???? I don't think so!

Of course there is.  Read what I wrote previously.  The GNOME Desktop
itself consists of the actual gnomedesktop port, and everything that
depends on it.  Evolution does not depend on this port.  Evolution does,
however, depend on the GNOME Development Suite which is quite different
that the whole desktop.

Joe