login.conf and accents weirdness

Jean-Baptiste Quenot jb.quenot at caraldi.com
Sun Nov 2 07:30:10 PST 2003

* Joan Picanyol i Puig:

> > It works for me, the accentuated chars show up in xterm...
>
> It doesn't for  me, nor in console or under  X. I'm pasting underneath
> what I see from the console (excerpt from the test file):

What I suggest is:

1) Restore login.conf and shell profile as it was
2) Test in X11 as it is more reliable than the console (no need to set
   fonts)
3) Run the command LC_CTYPE=ca_ES.ISO8859-15 more mail.test

Once you get the desired result, modify your environment or login class
accordingly.

I just  read Using Localization[1] again  in the handbook, but  I didn't
discover anything  obvious.  The  only case where  I can  reproduce your
result is:

LC_CTYPE=us-ascii more mail.test.

Best regards,
--