new install on dual cpu/scsi drives

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 10:36:13 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 08:52:37AM -0500, SWIT wrote:
> I have a dual intel 333 machine laying around with a couple of scsi drives
> in  it.
> I was thinking of throwing latest 4.x on it.
> is it harder or more work involved with the dual and scsi drives ?
> never done freebsd with either hardware before.

No -- installing on SCSI is no harder than installing on ATAPI.  Just
remember that the disk devices are 'da' rather than 'ad' and
everything will be fine.

Note that the GENERIC kernel is a single processor kernel, which will
work fine on a dual Proc system, but (obviously) only use one of the
processors.  You'll need to compile yourself a custom kernel with the
multiprocessor stuff enabled to make use of both processors.  The
config changes you need to make are described in the GENERIC config
file.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way