OpenOffice.org 1.0.2 and FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE

Tim Kellers timothyk at wallnet.com
Sat May 31 11:41:40 PDT 2003

I've been able to successfully build (and use) OpenOffice on 4.7-STABLE,
4.8-STABLE, and 5.1 BETA since 1.0.2 --I'm currently using 1.0.3.  Before
that, I had no success in building 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, (I didn't try building
those versions on CURRENT)but I did have immediate success using the Linux
version under emulation.

I have had trouble (read that no success) getting any version to print using
kprint and CUPS (and I've tried the configuration the kde folks suggest), but
I can print using good old lpd/lpr, so I'm happy enough with that.

Because the time to build is so long, since version 1.0.3, I've been able to
pkg_create -b openoffice on my fastest, roomiest machine, and pkg_add
openoffice over an NFS mount, to new workstations.

I don't know if the hardware manufacturer is significant, but all the machines
I've either built it on or pkg_add'd it to are/were Dell Optiplex PIII and P4
workstations and Poweredge PIII servers (both single and dual processors).

One "undocumented" observation about the build/install process I can make:  it
seems to me that I started having success building OpenOffice when I
installed FreeBSD on new computers, and built OpenOffice before I filled it
up with a zillion other ports.

Just my .02

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT