Help..can I use DUMP? my drive is dying - VINUM ?

Rob listone at deathbeforedecaf.net
Sat May 31 00:12:13 PDT 2003

If you have ssh(1) installed on both machines, do something like this

  dump 0f - /filesystem | ssh user at remotemachine 'gzip >
filesystem.dump.gz'

on the system to be backed up.

That should write a compressed dump to the remote machine, assuming that
* the local filesystem isn't changing (log updates etc)
* the remote system has enough diskspace

Then you can rebuild the sick machine, and when it's up & running do

  cd /filesystem
  ssh user at remotemachine 'gzcat filesystem.dump.gz' | restore rf -

to bring the files back. All these commands should be run as root.

I'm afraid someone else will need to help you with the vinum stuff....