Boot problem: "ata0: resetting devices"

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Fri May 30 09:54:23 PDT 2003

At 7:29 AM -0700 5/30/03, Kent Stewart wrote:
>I use the Promise TX2 and Maxtor pci cards in several systems. I
>just dropped them in and they worked. You would have to boot scsi.
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So, you're saying that I can't boot from an ATA drive on a PCI-based
controller card?  What is the background for this limitation?

Also, I'm curious about the effects of turning off hw.ata.ata_dma;
outside of using some CPU time, what are the likely effects of this.
For instance, is this likely to slow down disk transfers, assuming
that the system is mostly idle?

-r
--
email: rdm at cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841