secure pop server

Bryan Vyhmeister bsd at hub3.net
Thu May 29 23:34:44 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 11:23 PM, admin wrote:

> I am looking to set up a secure pop server on one of my FreeBSD 4.8
> Stable
> boxes.  Can somebody send me in the right direction?  Recommend
> software and
> provide links?

A POP3 server like cucipop works very nicely. It is found in
/usr/ports/mail/cucipop. By secure I am assuming you mean SSL support.
The best way to add SSL support to cucipop is using stunnel. It is
found in /usr/ports/security/stunnel. Cucipop works great on a small
scale but I use courier-imap (/usr/ports/mail/courier-imap) along with
stunnel for my main server. (In case you are wondering, courier-imap
includes a POP3 server as well as an IMAP server.) Courier-imap only
supports maildir while cucipop only supports mbox. It really depends on
what your requirements are. You did not give much information about
what your goal is. Hope that helps.

Bryan