Boot problem: "ata0: resetting devices"

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Thu May 29 01:35:42 PDT 2003

Here's a bit more information on the configuration:

   OS:     FreeBSD 4.5

   Disk:   Seagate Barracuda ATA II (ST320420A; 20 GB)

   Chips:  478 pin Celeron; 2.1 GHz
           512 MB DDR DIMM (2 ea.)
           SiS645DX  Northbridge _or_ SiS962(L) Southbridge

The manual indicates that the motherboard could have either a
Northbridge or Southbridge chipset, but I don't know an easy
way to tell which one this board has.  Suggestions?

Anyway, assuming that it's the latter, here's a note that
seems relevant, if not real encouraging:

   http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/160/2002/11/0/10219234/

   "the controller is technically unsupported"

The note does NOT say whether I can simply plug in a PCI-based
controller card (which seems like the obvious workaround).  Is
this likely to work?

-r
--
email: rdm at cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841