booting a different kernel each time

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Wed May 28 07:58:40 PDT 2003

Hi,

I need to send my everyday machine (pentiumIII) to repair. I will
take the disks and move them to a spare pentiumI so I can
keep working meanwhile.

The problem is I need to have a kernel that will work with a
different processor and with a different ethernet card.

My question: are there any issues in having two different
kernels and booting from the alternatively? I mean switching
kernels before booting so I don't have to 'unload' a kernel
at boot time and then load a diffent one.

And: should I backup both the kernel and the kernel modules
under a different name (kernel.p3, modules.p3/) so I can
then boot from it later?

Thanks in advance,

Fernan

PS: please CC me since I'm not subscribed to the list

--
F e r n a n   A g u e r o
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan