Dark lines on monitor

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Tue May 27 20:25:37 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:08:53PM -0500 or thereabouts, Dan Nelson seemed to write:
> In the last episode (May 27), Joshua Oreman said:
> > I've been using my monitor, an HP Pavillion M70, for about 2 years.
> > But just the other day, all of a sudden, gray lines started appearing
> > on lines containing black - the more black, the more gray on the
> > *whole* line across the monitor. It happens both on X and console
> > (but on the console, it's only really noticable when hiliting stuff).
> > The funny thing is, the same monitor works fine on another computer
> > in Windows.
>
> .. also using the same resolution and refresh rate?

I don't know: I brought the monitor (under warranty) to BestBuy - they
plugged it in to their M$ box and it worked fine. Brought it back home -
still same problem/

> If you're using custom modelines, try dropping to a standard refresh
> rate.  Or if your monitor and video card support DPMS, remove all
> modelines from your config file, put option "dpms" in your Monitor
> section, and let X determine a good refresh rate.

Good advice, but it happened on console too - even at standard 80x25.

BTW: How can I know if my monitor supports DPMS?

-- Josh