config error: mail loops back to me?

Matthew Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Tue May 27 07:42:49 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <phillip.smith at sympatico.ca>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Cc: <phillip.smith at sympatico.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 9:50 AM
Subject: config error: mail loops back to me?

> Hi there, hoping this is a common issue with a simple fix...
>
> Someone is trying to use my box for a relay, which sendmail is taking care
of nicely, but I keep getting
> A) my inbox filled with messages that for some reason it's trying to
deliver locally and B) these strange
> log messages....
>
> > May 24 22:43:37 freedom sm-mta[62410]: h4P2hbFs062410: SYSERR(root):
> fre.sg.co.nz.mydomainname.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)

> If I do an nslookup on this fre.sg.co.nz, i get the following:
>
> Server:  tor-ns1.netcom.ca
> Address:  207.181.101.4  <-  my upstream nameserver that I use
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    fre.sg.co.nz.muydomainname.com
> Addresses:  209.82.123.456, 209.167.123.456
>
> Why is my upstream returning this as my domain? I'm not clear on where the
issue lies?

> If you have an idea, please let me know. Also, if you could CC me it would
be great, as I'm not currently
> subscribed to the list.
>
> Many thanks in advance,

Since you don't give us real information, it's hard to fully understand (or
investigate) what is going on.

What may be happening is that their DNS is misconfigured and is missing a
trailing period on a name, so when your server does a MX lookup, it gets a
domain name back that is missing the trailing period so sendmail attempts to
(rightly) append the local domain, and then complains that your local mail
server is not configured to accept their mail.  (Duh!)

--
Matt Emmerton