bad kernel fried motherboard???

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Tue May 27 03:53:32 PDT 2003

On Saturday 24 May 2003 20:27, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 08:16:21PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:

> > My question - is there any possibility that a misconfigured kernel could
> > harm the hardware? Or is it just a strange coincidence that "kernel
> > panic" was followed by real hardware failure?

> It's highly unlikely that booting up a FreeBSD or Linux kernel will
> lead to hardware failure due to bad or malicious coding --- the core

It turns out that the reset switch went bad - it was not the motherboard as I
thought. The kernel panic was indeed a misconfigured kernel - I hit the reset
switch after I got the kernel panic message and the switch remained stuck
permanently in the reset position. A weird chain of events! Maybe no one is
interested, but remember, it could happen to you too.

regards,
Robert