Spooky em INTEL PRO 1000 driver?

MFW mwilliams at 2goons.net
Mon May 26 15:07:54 PDT 2003

Christoffer,

I have a similar problem with another driver. I am assuming that you have the
em driver compiled in your Kernel (I think its in GENERIC in 4.8). Here is
what I did to combat the similar problem. Take the ifconfig_em(x) and
defaultrouter out of the rc.conf. Make a simple if_up.sh script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d to bring up your interfaces and bring up your default
route. I run a sleep command in mine for 5 seconds to give other services time
to load before I bring up the interfaces. Syslog should come up regardless of
network services, unless you are doing remote syslog. Either way, the above
worked for me.

If that doesn't work, check to make sure you have the em driver compiled in
your Kernel. Sounds like its trying to kldload the em driver, therefore making
your services not start in the process (no network activity). If it is loading
the module at boot up, then make the above script, but load the module at the
top. Its all the same.

Just an idea. Not saying it the right thing to do, but its one that worked for
me.

MFW