Spooky em INTEL PRO 1000 driver?

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Mon May 26 12:21:31 PDT 2003

From: Christoffer Pio [mailto:cp at cvt.dk]
> Hello
>
> I am experiencing some spookynes with FreeBSD 4.8 on the IBM
> x345 2U machine; the x345 comes with two on-board INTEL
> 100/1000 mb nics
> which uses the em driver. However, whenever I "up" one of the nics,
> there is a slight delay of a few seconds before the command
> completes, also the nic is not operating in up state yet,
> appr. 30 seconds passes before traffic actually can pass

See the 'WAIT_FOR_AUTO_NEG_DEFAULT' define/ifdef in the driver,
this may help you. By default the driver, when in auto-negotiate
mode, hangs for a long time when you bring it up until negotiation
is complete.

Another option for you may be to force the duplex & speed with
ifconfig when you bring it up.