X, DRI, and xkbcomp (any keypress changes screen resolution)

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon May 26 11:47:22 PDT 2003

DRI sounded like a good idea.  Step one, upgrade system to -STABLE went
fine.  Step two, portupgrade -RN XFree86... did not.  It ended up with X
running but any keypress causes it to cycle to the next screen
resolution.  (There were a couple of messages about this on the mailing
list, but no resolution.)

It seems to be xkbcomp.  When X starts, it shows a bunch of error
messages like this:

expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_1: line 8 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_2: line 11 of xfree86
...and then...
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields

If I rename the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compat directory so xkbcomp can't
find it, X starts up and runs almost normally, although it gives an
xkbcomp warning (and some keystrokes no longer work).

I've tried reinstalling XFree86-clients-4.3.0_2, and it just reinstalls
the same stuff in the xkb directory.

Any ideas on fixing this?