PXE boot seems to use incorrect NFS root

William Rose wrose at zip-it.org
Mon May 26 03:39:55 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 19:43, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:
> You did not say which version of FreeBSD you are using.

Whoops!  Sorry.  FreeBSD 4.7.

> Diskless boot has two steps implemented by
> scripts:  /etc/rc.diskless1 and /rc.etc/diskless2.

Hmm.  I saw these.  In /etc/rc, it checks the value of the
vfs.nfs.diskless_valid sysctl, and if it's non-zero, then
/etc/rc.diskless1 is executed.  But how does that sysctl get set?  So I
assumed I didn't need to do anything to have /etc/rc.diskless1 run.
More importantly, the job for rc.diskless1 seems to be creating a
mfs-based /etc.  I'm mounting the NFS partition read-write, so I figured
this wasn't important.

> If you have /conf/default/etc, this directory is copied in
> a memory file system where /etc is mounted.  If you
> have /conf/client_IP/etc then you can configure a particular
> client in there, depending on its IP.

I didn't create a /conf, because I didn't want a customised /etc per
machine.  Also, at this point I am allowing the PXE client to connect to
the gateway NFS export with read-write and -maproot=root

> Now, it seems to me you are not setting "/etc/fstab" correctly.
> Look at mine:
>
> Isabeau:/usr/diskless/rootfs/etc> cat fstab
> 192.168.123.112:/usr/diskless/rootfs     /       nfs     rw      0       0
> 192.168.123.112:/usr                     /usr    nfs     rw      1       1
> Isabeau:/usr/diskless/rootfs/etc>

My fstab:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         D P
192.168.0.1:/pxeboot    /               nfs     rw              1 1
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0 0

> are you sure your /etc/fstab says:  "nfs" after the mounting points?

Yes.

Does this help?

cheers,
Will