Inquiry informations from Italy

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Sun May 25 18:41:04 PDT 2003

On Monday 26 May 2003 00:05, jb2070 wrote:
> Hi. How are you?
> I have a problem. I hope that you can help me.
> I have an old PC with some new Hard-Disk 40/60/80 Gigabyte, but my mother
> board can see only the first 8 GB.
> What I can do to use the space in the Hard-Disk Interly???
> I hope also to install several Operative System in the same Hard-Disk. Yuo
> can give me some suggests??
> Sorry for my bad English and thank you for your help.
> Greetings from italy
> Sergio

You aren't giving us much information, but I would guess your problem is one
of two possibilities:

1) Old BIOS. In that case, you'll have to update the BIOS, and you might need
a computer shop to help you do that.

2) There's nothing wrong with the motherboard, BIOS, or hard disk, it's just
that you're using an older version of Windows/DOS with the FAT16 filesystem,
and this cannot support more than 8 GB. In that case, all you have to do is
install FreeBSD and it will just work - FreeBSD's filesystem does not suffer
from this 8 GB limit. However, FreeBSD can only be installed in a primary
partition, so if you've already used up the four primary partitions, you'll
have to delete one of them.

regards,
Robert