What will this linux-compat kludge do?

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun May 25 17:11:36 PDT 2003

I wanted to get the Linux binary of Mozilla Firebird working on
4.8-RELEASE. I found this kludge on the Web (from the FreeBSD linux-phoenix
port) and applied it:

    # cd /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib
    # ln -s libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

There's something about that that just looks so wrong and bad ...

I was just wondering what ill effects this might have on other Linux
binaries that think they're actually getting 6.2-2. Anyone know?

But opera, realplay and MozillaFirebird work, so I'm happy for now ;-)

- d.