xmms fails occasionally

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Sat May 24 10:25:11 PDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003 10:10:53 -0700
"Aaron Peterson" <aaron at alpete.com> wrote:

> dunno why.  it will finish playing a song occasionally, then beep and
> pop up an error message that says it couldn't find the appropriate
> plugin or the device is busy (audio device i assume).  I'm not running
> any other a/v applications to take over the device besides KDE.  what
> might possibly cause this phenomena?

$10 says you have artsd running. You can disable it in the KDE control
panel. artsd tries to play a sound, finds someone else is using /dev/dsp
and waits until it is free. That's the moment when a song has just
finished, artsd grabs the /dev/dsp and when xmms tries to reopen it,
finds that it's busy.

Cheers,
        Miguel Mendez - flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
        EnergyHQ :: http://www.energyhq.tk