bad kernel fried motherboard???

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Sat May 24 04:44:54 PDT 2003

I've been offline for a few days because it seems my motherboard is fried. I'm
sending this message from another machine.

The really WEIRD thing - I had just recompiled a Linux kernel, then rebooted,
got a "kernel panic". Tried rebooting again into single-user mode, but kernel
panic again. Next attempt to reboot into the old kernel, but this time
nothing at all - no video, the motherboard just died.

My question - is there any possibility that a misconfigured kernel could harm
the hardware? Or is it just a strange coincidence that "kernel panic" was
followed by real hardware failure?

Sorry, I know this is off-topic, it was Linux not FreeBSD, but I'm still sort
of dazed.

regards,
Robert