can't print postscript files

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Thu May 22 16:11:59 PDT 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003 02:37, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003, Malcolm Kay wrote:
[snip]
> > #gs -h      -> produces ->
> > GNU Ghostscript 6.52 (2001-10-20)

Note the "GNU" here!

> > Copyright (C) 2001 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
> > Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
> > Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
> >  -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer
> > resolution -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit
> > after last file -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout,
> > |command for pipe, embed %d or %ld for page # Input formats: PostScript
> > PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PDF
> > Available devices:
> >    x11 bbox x11alpha x11cmyk x11cmyk2 x11cmyk4 x11cmyk8 x11gray2 x11gray4
> >    x11mono x11rg16x x11rg32x appledmp iwhi iwlo iwlq hl7x0 bj10e bj200
> >                                                      ^^^^^
> >    bjc600 bjc800 lbp8 lips3 m8510 coslw2p coslwxl stp uniprint dl2100
> > la50
>
> Sorry Malcolm, mine does not have it.
> And it is  newer:  version 7.05 !!

I don't believe the GNU distribution has reached this version number.
I think you must have the Aladdin distribution which is more
significant than the particular version number.

The total number of devices available in each distribution is enormous;
but those to be included can easily be selected at compilation, and the
default selection in distributions can be quite different.

Malcolm