For the experienced - stunnel and port 80

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Thu May 22 07:45:34 PDT 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, ODHIAMBO Washington wrote:

> For those who have lived in the world of paranoia long enough, please welcome
> me to that side of life ;)
>
> I am running apache+modssl on port 443. I want stunnel to listen on port 80,
> and then connect to port 443 instead, so that the users can just type
> www.domain.tld and not https://www.domain.tld.
>
> I have put this in stunnel.conf
>
> [https]
> accept  = 80
> connect = localhost:443
>

> sockstat -l shows stunnel listening on port 80, but in the life of me, I
> cannot just connect to that box if I do not use https://....
>
> Can someone bail me out here with advise??

Your browser is trying to talk HTTP because it thinks it's connecting to
an SSL-less socket.

If you want this to behave properly you ought to configure your apache
to redirect non-SSL (ie, port 80) requests to your SSL site.

There are a number of ways you can do this (preserving any path passed
as part of the request or redirecting to the root of
https://www.blah.../) - the httpd documentation for mod_alias and the
"Redirect" directive are what you're after.

(Things I've found in my attic, #2: A hundredweight of pornography.)