shutdown -p now

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Wed May 21 22:05:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003 20:15:02 +0800
Robert Storey <y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2003 20:46:43 -0500
> "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone at sage-one.net> wrote:
>
> > At 09:22 AM 5.21.2003 +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> > >Dear All,
> > >
> > >I'm trying to get my computer to shut down and turn the power off.
> > >I'm aware of the command "shutdown -p now". It doesn't work for me,
> > >and after
>           ================  SNIP =============

Thanks to all who replied. I've been experimenting for the past day, and
it still doesn't work, but I can live with just hitting the power switch
(and holding it down for six seconds, as some of you suggested). Anyway,
I've had partial success and discovered a few things which may be of
interest to others:

At least in FBSD 5.0 (which is what I'm using), all that's needed is to
uncomment the line that says:

#device         apm

If I use this:

# device apm0 at nexus? flags 0x20 #Advanced Power Management

Then I will get this error message when I attempt to configure the kernel:

 config: CUSTOM2:156: devices with zero units are not likely to be correct

The handbook indicates that apm0 is correct, so I assume this is an
incompatibility between 4.8 and 5.0. Presumably, that will be corrected -
should I/we inform the people who do the handbook about this, or have they
already got a handle on it?

Anyway, using just "apm", I am able to compile the kernel. I change
rc.conf to turn on apm, and I even get a message at boot time about
now", I get this error message:

  Powering system off using ACPI
  ACPI power-off failed - timeout

I suspect it's simply that my power supply (which is old) does not support
ACPI.  My motherboard (which is new) does support ACPI. Running "dmesg |
grep -i acpi" gives me this output:

  Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/acpi.ko" at 0xc06ed0a8.
  acpi0: <ASUS   A7V8X-X > on motherboard
     ACPI-0625: *** Info: GPE Block0 defined as GPE0 to GPE15
  acpi0: power button is handled as a fixed feature programming model.
  Timecounter "ACPI-fast"  frequency 3579545 Hz
  acpi_timer0: <32-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0xe408-0xe40b on acpi0
  acpi_cpu0: <CPU> on acpi0
  acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0
  pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
  pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
  pcib1: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
  pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
  fdc0: <Enhanced floppy controller (i82077, NE72065 or clone)>
    port 0x3f7,0x3f2-0x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on acpi0
  ppc0 port 0x778-0x77b,0x378-0x37f irq 7 drq 3 on acpi0
  sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
  atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x64,0x60 irq 1 on acpi0

I'll wait for 5.1 and see if that improves things, but as I say, I suspect
that my hardware is the culprit. Nevertheless, it does work in Linux and
Windows, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Thanks again to all who replied.

best regards,
Robert