Linksys EtherFast in 4.8 installer

Peter Lee plee at cdt.Stanford.EDU
Wed May 21 19:07:37 PDT 2003

I'm new to this list.  Please let me know if I should be asking elsewhere.

Question in short: when trying to install 4.8-release over FTP, why is
there no "Ethernet" option?  I am using a supported Linksys EtherFast
10/100 Ethernet PC Card.

Question in detail: I use a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop with--according to
Windows 2000--a "Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card (PCMPC100) at CardBus
Slot 0."  So I get kern.flp, mfsroot.flp, and drivers.flp from the
4.8-release directory and boot up.  I see, before the menu-driven
interface:

	cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
	pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
	.
	.other stuff here
	.
	pccard0: <unknown card> (manufacturer=0x0149, \\
		product=0xc1ab) at function 0
	pccard0:    CIS info: Linksys EtherFast 10/100 \\
		PC Card (PCMPC100)

I choose to install over FTP, and get three choices, SLIP, PPP, and
something else.  But there is no Ethernet option as indicated in the
Handbook.

My card is supported, quoting from the 4.8-release hardware notes: "NE2000
compatible PC-Card (PCMCIA) Ethernet and FastEthernet cards ( ed(4)
driver); Linksys EC2T/PCMPC100/PCM100, PCMLM56, EtherFast 10/100 PC Card,
Combo PCMCIA Ethernet Card (PCMPC100 V2)."

Various searches reveal that it's probably because my card wasn't detected
or because PnP was on.  There is no PnP option in my BIOS.  So I boot up
again on kern.flp, and when the installer offers to load kernel modules
from drivers.flp, I load all of them (a bit unsophisticated, but I thought
it was worth a shot).

I get the same problem: no Ethernet option.  I'm guessing that although my
card is supported, it isn't necessarily supported by the installer.  So,
my question is, is there any way around this?

Thanks,

Peter