Cable modem & DHCP

Ryan Merrick sandshrimp at attbi.com
Tue May 20 23:45:57 PDT 2003

Bob Hall wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 11:46:42PM -0700, Ryan Merrick wrote:
>
>>What does your #/etc/dhclient.conf look like ?
>

> The default settings; i.e. it contains only comments. That's
> supposed to work for most people, and I've never worked with
> dhclient before, so I'm not really sure what changes I should
> make, if any.
>
> Bob Hall

Cable runs off your hostname. So you wand to send your hostname and
request everything else. If you are running a name server you will want
to prepend it's IP address after the request. Then pick a media for the
connection to bind to.

Exanple config:

interface "fxp0" {
         send host-name "c1529030";
         request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
domain-name, domain-name-servers;
         require subnet-mask;
         media "media autoselect";}

Ryan