FreeBSD 5 Install Options

Jim Mock mij at soupnazi.org
Tue May 20 23:35:29 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 12:32  PM, Ben Jamer wrote:
> Hello! I haven't gotten the chance to use FreeBSD yet, do I figured I
> would grab an old 486 and install it.  Now, I just have a few
> questions before installation.  First of all, the computer doesn't
> have a working Cd-Rom drive, so I am going to have to use floppies to
> install it, but is it possible to put all the files I would need onto
> the harddrive, and then install directly from it, rather than using
> just floppies? It says a bit about this in the handbook and
> install.txt/htm, but I just want to make sure I understand before
> copying files over to the other computer for hours.

You're better off doing a net install, even if you're on a dialup.  A
minimal net install (bin and manpages) will be much less of a giant
pain in the ass than trying to install from floppies.

- jim

--
- jim mock  mij@{soupnazi|opendarwin}.org  jim@{bsdnews|FreeBSD}.org -
- editor in chief, BSD News: http://bsdnews.org  http://soupnazi.org -