mysql/php/apache weirdness

sektie sektie at codersluts.net
Tue May 20 23:16:50 PDT 2003

This is on a fbsd-5 'puter.

When mysql 3.23.56 first came out in the ports tree, I used portupgrade to install it
the very next day. Previous to that, I believe I was running mysql 3.23.54. I was
running a website that uses very simple php code that interfaces with my mysql
db, but it just started dying with 3.23.56. dying bad. Any time the php script tried
to do _anything_ with the db (like, um, opening it?), i'd get this in the mysql error
logs:

/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
030329 19:52:31  mysqld restarted
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
mysqld got signal This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this
binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail

key_buffer_size=8388600
record_buffer=131072
sort_buffer=2097144
max_used_connections=0
max_connections=100
threads_connected=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 225791 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation

The line that is causing all of this is:

$db = mysql_connect("127.0.0.1", "<username>","<password>")

The mysql console client (ie: 'mysql' at command line) works just fine.
php/mysql/apache have all been compiled from ports. I have tried everything I
could possibly think of, including recompiling php. No dice. I've not really heard
much about anyone else having this problem. I could go back to using 3.23.54
and it would all work ok, but I'd really rather figure out what the problem is. The
webpage that is having the issues (so you can see the problem firsthand) is
http://perlpimp.codersluts.net/pics.php. Ugh. I hope someone here has an idea of
what is going on, because I'm lost.

Randi