shutdown -p now

Jack L. Stone jackstone at sage-one.net
Tue May 20 18:46:44 PDT 2003

At 09:22 AM 5.21.2003 +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I'm trying to get my computer to shut down and turn the power off. I'm
>aware of the command "shutdown -p now". It doesn't work for me, and after
>reading the handbook, I conclude that I must not have ACPI supported
>hardware. However, with Linux (and Windows) on this same computer, I can
>tell the machine to shut down and turn off the power. In Linux, this
>requires that the apm module be loaded - enabling apm in FBSD doesn't seem
>to do the trick for me (or do I need to recompile the kernel for this to
>work?).
>
>A bigger problem is that FBSD seems to have disabled the power button on
>the
>front of the computer. In order for me to turn off the machine, I have to
>reach behind the computer and turn off the master switch on the power
>supply (or else, pull the power cord out of the wall). I assume that this
>is done as a security measure - to prevent evil-minded individuals from
>shutting down the server when the system administrator is on his lunch
>break. That probably makes sense in a corporate network setting, but I
>don't need that level of security at home. More importantly, when I
>install FBSD on my laptop (I have not yet done so), I'm concerned that I
>won't be able to shut down the machine at all unless I remove the battery.
>
>I'd be grateful for any suggestions on solving this problem.
>
>TIA,
>Robert

Don't know why your switch quit, but if your computer can manage the
shutdown, you need these:

In the kernel
# device apm0 at nexus? flags 0x20 #Advanced Power Management

...and in rc.conf
# apm_enable="YES"

You should see in the bootup (dmesg):
apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

Hope it helps...

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator