Need help with the sound card!!

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Tue May 20 18:25:45 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 04:32 pm, Aaron Peterson wrote:
> i have my sound card working, but need to learn about module
> management for freebsd still.  i'm very hazy :)...  So you are saying
> that for all the sound card support there is a module already built
> that you can load/unload with kldload, and you only need to add
> "device pcm" (for example) to your kernel config and
> recompile/reinstall if you want it to be a static part of the kernel?
>  are all device drivers handled likewise?

All that are listed in /modules, until FreeBSD 5 where most everything
becomes a module linked at boot time and get moved to /boot/kernel/.

In 4, think you'll need pcm and another if building the driver into the
kernel statically. Pcm seems to be the core interface routines
connecting to the kernel, and another suite of code is needed to handle
the soundcard hardware. But if you find the right "hardware" module it
will pull pcm in if using modules and kldload.

I don't believe there is much, if any, disadvantage to using modules.
Thats why its nearly mandatory in 5.

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net