Recomendation for a lightweigth window manager

Vlad D.Markov markov at monmouth.com
Tue May 20 17:48:12 PDT 2003

As I understand X, the application gets a message to close or delete and
that causes it to close. There is a destroy message that will in effect
kills the X application.

If your users have access to xkill, they can destroy windows.

Most Window managers permit you to associate actions with the
decorations, menus, and keys. I use fvwm or fvwm2 and it lets me
configure all these things. I don't see why you could not configure the
window manager to just have the options on the window decoration to
minimize/maximize, no key bindings, and a menu that just permits the
browser to be launched. TWM and other window managers can also be
configured how you want.

Until last year I ran an Intel 486. It wasn't the Window manager that
was the problem; it was the browser followed closely by XFree86. Anybody
remember Chimera? Now that was a nice X browser.