Need help with the sound card!!

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue May 20 14:09:29 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 04:38:31PM -0400, Konokrad wrote:
> Hello again. I really need help with this thing. I use FreeBSD 4.7 and I
> have rebuild the kernel a couple of times with different drivers. I
> tried including
[...]
> I checked the BIOS settings on this thing and they called the card
> "Interwave SB Digital Audio". It was at IRQ 5 and port 0x220.
>
> Which drivers do I use to set this thing to work?

Don't mess with building a kernel until you have found the right driver.
The simplest way I know is (as root) "kldload /modules/snd.ko". Then
watch the output on a console, via dmesg(8), and/or the contents of
/var/log/messages to see which (if any) of the kld modules liked your
sound card.

Its been a few months since I've been in there doing what you are doing
but IIRC /modules/snd.ko is an "all-modules" module. Once you figure out
what is needed then you could either build a new kernel or simply add it
to /boot/loader.conf (see /boot/defaults/loader.conf for example).

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net