interface woes, interface is up and has an ip assigned to it, but it cannot ping out and it can't be pinged

Bsd Neophyte bsdneophyte at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 01:17:07 PDT 2003

--- Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock at esfm.ipn.mx> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 2003, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
> It can be silly but... here it goes:
>
> Are the wires connected where they are supposed to be?
> I mean, do you know  which of your nics  is pcn0 and which is pcn1 ?
>
> ... It happened to me.

not silly at all... the layer one problems are probably the most common.

i did check, believe it or not, the first time i was getting frustrated
the cable was going from the nic on the FreeBSD box to the nic on my XP
box and i was getting really frustrated that the switch wasn't lighting
up. :)

however, i've resolved all layer 1 issues.  the cable has been tested for
both nics... the status changes from no carrier to active.  so i know
which nic is which.

however, now i'm getting another issue.  pcn1 is not taking it's ip
address.  it seems that only pcn0 has an ip address.

but i still can't ping anything outside of the machine itself. :/