Creating a bin or ISO image of a CD??

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Mon May 19 18:44:11 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 07:28:45PM -0600 or thereabouts, Warren Block seemed to write:
> On Mon, 19 May 2003, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:
>
> > try:
> >
> > 	dd if=/dev/acd0c of=my_image bs=2352
>
> Hmmm.  This brings up something I've wondered about.  I always use
> bs=2k to match the actual sector size of CDs.
>
> But does it matter?  Is there any reason not to use a larger buffer size
> to speed up reading CDs?

As long as you use a multiple of the same size, you should be fine. However,
the block size you pick should also be a multiple of the size of the track
you're ripping. It'll still work otherwise, but `dd' will complain.

HTH,
-- Josh