X and xdm question

Vlad D.Markov markov at monmouth.com
Mon May 19 17:09:19 PDT 2003

I generally use my FreeBSD computer as a workstation. I have other
unix-like computers around the house. I am attempting to run "xdm -
query theFreeBSDComputer" on one virtual terminal and "xdm -indirect
theFreeBSDComputer" in another virtual terminal. That way on one virtual
terminal I go directly to the FreeBSD computer and in the other I get a
chooser. This kind of works.

When the FreeBSD box boots up I get the chooser on the wrong virtual
terminal and a logon prompt on the other which is also wrong. When I
cancel the chooser, I get the proper logon window; when I CTRL-C the
logon window I get the chooser. This annoys me and I can't figure it
out.

I start xdm and XFree86 with the following script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d:

#!/bin/sh
pidfiledir=/var/run
xdm=/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
x=/usr/X11R6/bin/X

# start
if [ "x$1" = "x" -o "x$1" = "xstart" ]; then
        if [ -f $xdm ]; then
                echo -n ' Xdm'
                $xdm
                $x :0 -depth 16 vt09 -query $(hostname)&
                echo $! > $pidfiledir/x.pid
                sleep 5
                $x :1 -depth 16 vt10 -indirect $(hostname)&
                echo $! > $pidfiledir/x_1.pid
        fi

# stop
elif [ "x$1" = "xstop" ]; then
        kill $(cat $pidfiledir/x.pid)
        kill $(cat $pidfiledir/x_1.pid)
        kill $(cat $pidfiledir/xdm.pid)
fi
I suspect the problem is in /etc/ttys. It looks like this:

<snip>
console none                            unknown off secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
# Serial terminals