realaudio frequently coredumps

Rob Lahaye lahaye at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 18 01:39:29 PDT 2003

David Banning wrote:
>>I'm using realaudio versions 8 and 9, which both coredump frequently.
>>The crash seems to happen when the speed of the connection goes down,
>>which, of course should not be a reason for coredumping :).
>>
>>I'm just wondering whether this is indeed a bug in realaudio, or it
>>is a bug in the linux module on Freebsd.
>>
>>I'm using linux_base-7.1_3 and FreeBSD 4.8 on a intel PC.
>

> Did you check the brandelf status?

I fixed all that; installed linux-realplayer from the ports
and set the brandelf to Linux. But the crashes still occur.

When the network gets congested and realaudio starts buffering,
it crashes immediately after it plays sound again. The console
gets:

 May 18 17:31:57 lahaye /kernel: pid 83679 (realplay),
  uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

and gdb -c realplay.core says:

  Core was generated by `realplay'.
  #0  0x283c3701 in ?? ()

Probably a bug in realplay then, or?