ATAPICAM and CDRW drives

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Fri May 16 18:42:17 PDT 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 03:59 pm, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2003 23:04:46 -0500
>
> BTW are there any drives or manufactures I should advoid when getting
> a ATAPI CDRW drive?

Once Upon A Time I purchased a new Philips 24/8/4 (I think, might have
been 24/6/4) CD-RW drive which was a stinker. Was happy to pay a 15%
restocking fee to get rid of it. It could barely read a CD-R it had
just written. Didn't matter if burncd under FreeBSD or Adaptec under
NT4. Not on the 50-pack of cheap CD-R's I had at the time. Not on the
sample media that came with the drive.

Likely my drive was a lemon but there are too many other choices which
have not caused me the same trouble. Replaced it with a SCSI HP which
works native with cdrecord and others, but isn't without its quirks.
Learned not to do a cold boot with an audio CD in the tray. Something
causes the writing logic to fail, but reading works. Reboot cures.

cd0: <HP CD-Writer+ 9200 1.0e> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-4 device

Have had good luck with Sony ATAPI CD-RW drives.

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net