freebsd vs. linux - educated opinions wanted

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Fri May 16 17:57:54 PDT 2003

i am looking for educated opinions about the following:

i began using linux about 5 years ago, mostly because i had heard of it and
was curious and because i found a close friend who was already a couple
years up the learning curve who could show me around.  now that i've been
emersed in the *NIX world a while longer i have built some of my own opinions
and heard a great many rumors about the practical differences between linux
and freeBSD.  Some of these are as follows:

1. There is better hardware support for linux, and more features because there
are more developers.
2. Linux code is often not as well written as freebsd because freebsd
developers are more unified, focused and strict.
3. freeBSD is more secure
4. freeBSD is more stable

what does linux have that freebsd doesn't?  what does freebsd have that linux
doesn't?  what are the security issues that should be acknowledged when
deciding which to use for something mission critical in a production
environment?  how does one measure/compare stability, and which comes out
on top?

these have been swimming around in my head for a while, and i have gotten
pretty comfortable with linux, and curiousity has driven me to begin learning
freebsd now regardless of the answers.  i am not a hacker or a seasoned *NIX
admin though, and would like some better founded opinions that my own :)