mutt in XFree86 under FreeBSD

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri May 16 11:47:29 PDT 2003

On 2003-05-15 18:36, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh at starjuice.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I can't get mutt-1.5.4 to respond to the "End" key in an XFree86-4.3.0
> xterm on FreeBSD 5.1-BETA.  It's been happening ever since I started
> with mutt a few months back, but it's only just pissed me off enough to
> ask for help.
>
> Important bits from .muttrc:
>
> bind generic  <home>  first-entry
> bind generic  <end>   last-entry
> bind pager    <home>  top
> bind pager    <end>   bottom
>
> The software handles these keypresses fine on console, and also in an
> xterm on a buddy's Linux box, just not in my XFree86 config.
>
> I'm hoping this is a common FreeBSD user niggle that someone'll have a
> quick fix for.

Not really an "X11 solution" but...

I usually fire up screen(1) inside my xterm windows and set TERM=vt220.
This seems to work like a charm both on the console and under X.  Home,
End, DEL or other keys work fine then :)

The only side-effect is that I need to bind [find] and [select] in my
.emacs instead of [home] and [end], but that's a small cost to pay for
having it work in all the programs I usually run.

- Giorgos