Trying To Setup A Larger Subnet, But I'm Doing Something Wrong....

Nils Vogels nivo+freebsd-questions at yuckfou.org
Fri May 16 03:01:09 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:42:48PM -0400, The Jetman (TJ) wrote:

TJ>     I have a working 4.5-RELEASE system that's been acting as my Internet
TJ> gateway for many months now, thank you very much.  It's a NATing system
TJ> using (til now) the 192.168.0.0/24 private net internally.  I want to
TJ> expand this subnet, to encompass the entire 192.168.1 net as well.

What you did _should_ work, provided that you also adapt any possible firewall
on the gateway box.

Another possibility is to setup an alias on the gateway box, using the netmask
of 255.255.255.0. In effect your gateway would then have 2 ip addresses:

One in the 192.168.0.x network, the other one in the 192.168.1.x network. It
might make it easier for you to work, but the downside is, that all traffic
from client to client will need to pass your gateway, if they are in the
different subnets.

HTH & HAND,

Nils.