your mail

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Thu May 15 14:03:26 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:25:40PM +0000, Steve Lyle wrote:
> Why can I boot from a cd disk created with an ISO to install FreeBSD 4.8
> but
> After install I can not "mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom" ?
> When I try try the console reports "cd9660: /dev/acd0c device not
> configured"
> This cd is mountable on a different system.
> acd0 is in the kernel config.

It shouldn't be. It should be "atapicd" for RELENG_4:
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives

The above is the GENERIC default. It not only has to be "in the config"
but has to be compiled into the kernel. The config is only used to build
the kernel. Again, this is for the 4 series, not for FreeBSD 5 and up.

> I do not yet understand /dev &/ MAKEDEV &/ files with the "c" attribute

Obviously.

Sysinstall writes a correct mount for the cdrom in /etc/fstab. Don't do
that "mount -t" stuff, try a simple, "mount /cdrom" as root. Be sure to
"umount /cdrom" before removing it.

"device not configured" may very well mean the node in /dev is missing.
Use "ls" to verify it exists. Otherwise:

% su
# cd /dev
# sh MAKEDEV acd0

Heck, just remake everything: