Dropping DTR to access command mode during ppp session

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Thu May 15 09:05:09 PDT 2003

The way I've done it in the past... Is to stop ppp from running (you'll
have to do this from the console)...

Then at the root prompt, type ppp and hit ENTER.

You will now be in the ppp> command line...
Type: term and hit ENTER.

You are now in terminal mode.

Type your AT commands, and then hit ~. (that's tilde and period), and you
should be
back at the ppp> prompt.

Type: exit (or quit), and you are back at your ppp prompt.

Restart PPP.

Peter

At 08:55 AM 5/15/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a need to access my modem's command mode in order to issue some AT
>commands to obtain line status/quality and some other queries, DURING a
>ppp session.
>
>According to the modem manual, dropping DTR will put the modem into
>command mode (while keeping the connection up, similar to doing a "+++"
>but with more positive control).... then in theory I should be able to do
>my AT commands, terminating with an ATO to put the modem back into data
>mode.
>
>However, there seem to be a couple problems with this:
>
>1)  Can't seem to figure out a way to get ppp itself to drop DTR and then
>allow me to use the "term" command to query the modem.
>
>2)  If I write an external program to drop DTR, I suspect ppp will get
>VERY confused...
>
>I've seen mention of the desire to do something similar in the list
>archives but no actual successful ways of doing it.
>
>Any ideas on how to be able to issue AT commands to my modem during a ppp
>session?
>
>Thanks!!
>Steve Lin

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.
If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.