Operating System

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Thu May 15 08:50:40 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:00:06AM -0500, Peter Elsner wrote:
> uhm... boot managers are for when you have multiple operating systems on a
> SINGLE hard drive...

Not quite - a PC will read the boot block data from the primary hard disk,
which in this case, I guess, is the drive with Windows on it.  Therefore,
if there is no boot selector or manager installed here, the OS on the
second disk is effectively invisible, because the standard Windows/DOS
bootloader simply defers control to the bootable primary DOS/NTFS partition
on the disk.

The boot manager is needed to allow the (I think) second stage bootstrap to
be loaded from the appropriate disk.  So in this case as well, a boot
manager of some sort is required (even if you were to boot from a floppy,
you would be using a boot manager).

The OP will need to boot from the installation media again, and this time
ensure he installs the boot manager on the PRIMARY drive, even though
FreeBSD is not installed on it.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \