Why do I have .klogin without enabling kerberos?

Chris Pepper pepper at reppep.com
Wed May 14 20:54:34 PDT 2003

	I just noticed /root/.klogin on both my 4.8-S systems (one of
which I just re-installed from CD today). I can't find a man page for
it, but presume it's for kerberos (it appears to be a copy of
/usr/src/etc/root/dot.klogin). I'm quite certain I never did explicit
anything to create this file, so figure it's a standard part of the
systems. Unfortunately, I can't find a man page for it, including
with "man -k login" and "man -k kerberos" -- is this an oversight, or
is there a reason it's created but not documented?

	Also, I'm surprised to find /usr/sbin/kerberos on both
systems, despite not having installed any kerberos packages or ports.
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kerberos.html>
doesn't discuss 'base' kerberos components.

>tabasco# file /usr/sbin/kerberos
>/usr/sbin/kerberos: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version
>1 (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 4.8, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
>stripped

	Is there a reason the kerberos binary and .klogin are
included in the base system, even without kerberos enabled in
/etc/make.conf??

						Thanks for any enlightenment,

						Chris Pepper
PS-Please cc me on replies.