su-ing error with FreeBSD 5.0

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Wed May 14 17:39:05 PDT 2003

On a couple servers I have one running 5.0 Release, another running 5.0
Current I have a problem with su.

If I login to the server using a regular account, then su - to root, then I
try to su - to any other account, other than the one I originally logged in
as the su works but with this error:

su: No controlling tty (open /dev/tty: Permission denied)
su: warning: won't have full job control

With this error, it makes it pretty bad to use this way.

Do I have something not configured correctly? Or is there something I need
to do more in the 5.0 configuration

         -Derek
         derek at computinginnovations.com