Remote 4.7 => 4.8 upgrade

P. U. Kruppa 520023893678-0001 at t-online.de
Wed May 14 10:09:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, FreeB wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to do an upgrade on a remote system. I have found several snippets
> of information on doing this, but I wanted to ask for any links that
> someone may have on more information. The system is intel and has no
> special configs(pretty much a fresh install running 4.7). It is mostly a
> learning experience, as I see this needing done in the future. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. Again, this is an install on a system I do
> not have physical access to, and will be done via ssh.
This can be done using the cvsup mechanism.
This means you download the new kernel sources, compile them on
your old system and reboot into your new kernel.
I don't know, if you have any experiences with this procedure.

A starting point would be to read
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html
It is written for people who want to track -STABLE or -CURRENT
but if you use the right supfile it will work the same way for
4.8

Perhaps you first try it on your private machine.

Uli.