PPP has a mind of it's own!

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed May 14 09:32:58 PDT 2003

On 2003-05-14 08:00, RexFelis <catlord17 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am enjoying learning FreeBSD but I have come to a strange little
> showstopper for which I can think of no rational explanation, and find
> no information in my researches.
>
> I have FreeBSD 5.0 installed on /dev/ad2s1 and it runs beautifully.
> The installation was experimental, but as I learned more, I decided I
> need more space.  So I cleared out half my first disk and set up a 15
> gig partition for FreeBSD there.
>
> Strangely enough, though, while the partition on the second hard drive
> holds the same OS installed from the same CD, the two installations
> are acting very differently when it comes to connecting to the
> internet.
>
> I can connect to the internet through the new install (I am using
> PPP), but I seem to be getting no response whenever I try to do
> anything.  Ports can't be fetched, web pages don't open, and pings
> never go.  I see that the lights on the modem flash for both outgoing,
> and occasionally returning packets, but nothing else happens.

The most likely cause of this is differences in the configuration of the
two installations.  In general, a good way of seeing what these
differences are is:

	* boot installation A.
	* mount root filesystem of installation B under /mnt
	* Run diff:

		# diff -ruN /etc /mnt/etc

> I tried using dd to copy the partitions from my old install to my new
> install, and while that produced working ppp, it also recreated the
> exact size of those partitions.

Argh!  Now you can't check for diffs now :(

> By the way, for those who would advise me to use 4.x... I have done
> that, too, and - yep - I have the same exact problem.
>
> I'm stumped.  Anyone have any ideas?  Please???

More details on the setup of ppp, your DNS resolver setup, and any
errors you're seeing while connected please.

- Giorgos