umodem question

Tomoki Taniguchi ml at makainet.net
Tue May 13 23:26:57 PDT 2003

PLEASE SEND ANY REPLY DIRECTLY TO ME.  I am no subscribed.

BACKGROUND:  I have SPRINT PCS VISION phone that can be used to connect to
internet via USB.  It acts as a USB modem and I used the directions on the
page below to get it working.
http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/sanyo-4900.php
FreeBSD seems to recognize it as a USB Modem.

<dmesg snip>
umodem0: SANYO Electric Co. Ltd. SANYO USB Phone, rev 1.01/0.00, addr 2,
iclass 2/2
umodem0: data interface 1, has CM over data, has break
device_probe_and_attach: umodem0 attach returned 6
ugen0: SANYO Electric Co. Ltd. SANYO USB Phone, rev 1.01/0.00, addr 2
</snip>

So I repeated created the needed pppd and chat scripts (replacing the
/dev/ttyACM0 in linux to /dev/umodem0 and run pppd.  And I get the error
message below.
"Failed to open /dev/umodem0: Device not configured"

Is there some initialization process I need to do for usb modems?  How are ppp
connections done on regular USB Modems?  Is there supposed to be a some sort
of tty device?

TIA,
Tomoki