NAT + 5.0-RELEASE #0

Eduardo Viruena Silva mrspock at esfm.ipn.mx
Tue May 13 10:27:25 PDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Chris P wrote:

> OK, no responces.. so I went and tried it.  Indeed you do need to tweak
> the kernel.  However Its best to start with a fresh GENERIC kernel, and
> make your mods only a few at a time.  Many mod's I had in my old did not
> work in the new. Plus the instructions for 4.8 are not exacting for 5.0,
> so you may have to play with things to get it all to work.  Overall it was
> not too tough.

Sorry, Cris, when you asked if I really have installed that with FreeBSD
5.0 I realize that I have not.

So, I updated an old computer that we use as router in a private
network and everything worked ok with FreeBSD 5.0-RELEAE p7

And Yes, you have to modify your kernel...

I think that you are right, making modifications in your kernel
description, one at the time, will make you step on solid ground if
something goes wrong.  If you proceed with GENERIC kernel, just remember
that you only need two more lines in your kernel description:

	options IPDIVERT
	options IPFIREWALL

so, if you add them it will work.

Your network configuration will not work if you don't specify in rc.conf
firewall_enable=YES and firewall_type="filename", filename is a file with
your firewall configuration or you can set it to OPEN to make your tests.

Good luck.